Tuesday, November 2, 2010

BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE - Forgiveness Rock Record


May 2010 release from these kings (and queens) of indie rock. They are often described as a collective, rather than a band, as the only two constant "full-time" members are Kevin Drew and Brendan Canning. They have a rotating band of merry musicians join them both on records and live, some of whom are or have become indie rock stars on their own (Feist, members of Stars, Jason Collett, and so many others). We can consider Forgiveness Rock Record to be BSS's fourth proper studio album. I remember when this album came out that a lot of people on the 'nets kind of trashed it. It doesn't have the same intense groove as their last record; I don't see people dancing to this one like they did to jamz like "Windsurfing Nation" or "Fire Eye'd Boy". There's still some catchy stuff on here, though. I like "Texico Bitches" and "Art House Director" to get my indie rock rock-outs on to, and there's a lot of material on here to chill to as well. I wouldn't trash this record; it definitely still is BSS, just a little more of a laid-back vibe. Will I play this every day? Nope. Am I glad I gave it a chance? Yes.

www.myspace.com/brokensocialscene
www.brokensocialscene.ca

No comments: