Monday, November 8, 2010

ELLIOTT SMITH - An Introduction To...


When you sit down to think about it, it's hard to believe that it's been over seven years since Elliott Smith died on October 21, 2003. I first heard of Elliott when his posthumous album, From A Basement On The Hill, was being released. While I listened to that album a bunch of times (Prior to buying it, I actually streamed the album's preview on dial-up internet, which was totally worth the effort), I'm certainly not one to say I'm a huge Elliott Smith fan. I like him a lot, but his music tends to depress me, so I don't play it very often. Still, the man was an amazing musician.

An Introduction To... is a quick little look into the songbook of Elliott Smith's solo career. There's at least one song from each of his solo albums, with XO only getting one and Either/Or showcasing five. The songs aren't in chronological order, something that irritates me when compilation albums are put together. There really isn't anything new here for current fans. The collection is put together for people who have never heard [much] of Elliott's music (hence the title). I'm sure we could argue for hours about which songs should or shouldn't have been included on here. But we can't change the tracklisting now, so there wouldn't be much of a point in doing that. Instead, we can remember Elliott Smith and the fact that he was a great songwriter and put on some of his albums.

http://www.myspace.com/elliottsmithnewmoon
www.sweetadeline.net

No comments: